Monday, December 26, 2011

Two Under Two

 
...That's right! Evie is going to be a big sister! When we found out we were pregnant with her, we immediately told EVERYONE! This time, though, we wanted to keep the pregnancy under wraps until we were able to go to the doctor and make sure everything is fine. We told immediate family, but no one else. I took a pregnancy test on November 1st, and it has been killing me to keep it a secret for so long, but we finally went to the doctor's office on Friday! On the phone, we were told that at our first appointment they automatically do an ultrasound to find the heartbeat and to date the pregnancy. The only problem was we were given about four different prices for that first appointment. Even when we showed up on the actual day, they charged me less than they'd said, but told me they were only doing a Doppler instead of an ultrasound. We were very confused and asked the nurse once we were in the room to explain once and for all what was going on. There was a small ultrasound machine in the office itself, so she left to ask the doctor what he wanted to do. He came in and said that because no one had given us a straight answer, he would just do the ultrasound for free!
Our first ultrasound with Evie was when we were 7 weeks along, so there wasn't much going on yet. She really just looked like a little cocoon:
This time, though, I was almost 12 weeks along, so the first thing we saw, even before a heartbeat, was little feet kicking. Instead of a cocoon, this baby looked a little like a gummy bear:

At the beginning of my pregnancy with Evie, I was still working the last of the Depo Provera shot out of my system, so I had no idea how far along I was. This time, it was so nice to have clear and accurate dates to work with! According to my calculations, my due date was July 8th. The doctor, after checking my dates and looking at the ultrasound, put my due date at July 10th, but a couple of days one way or the other is no big deal.
The doctor asked me if we had planned this baby or if it was an "oopsie," and I want to make it clear that this baby was planned for and prayed for, just like Evie was. Todd was a little surprised that we got pregnant so fast after deciding we wanted another baby, but I wasn't. Infertility doesn't seem to be my cross to bear; pretty much as soon as we decide we want a baby--boom!--there's a baby. And I really don't care this time what we have. I very much wanted to have a girl first, and when I would pray for Evie's health and safety, I would secretly pray that she would be a girl. I had a feeling that she was, but I didn't know if it was just wishful thinking. This time, I have a feeling that we're having a boy, but I would be really thrilled either way. It'll be great if we have another girl, because we already have plenty of girl baby clothes. Also, they would grow up to be best friends. On the other hand, it'll be great if we have a boy, because it would be a fun new adventure to have one of each. Also, we would have someone to "carry on our family name." Either way, I'm sure our kiddos will be close, because Evie will never be able to remember a time when she was the only child, and the next one will obviously never be able to remember a time without Evie. They will always be an important part of each others' lives. And mine.
Oh, I am so excited to finally have the news out in the open! I'm PREGNANT, everybody! Again! And my 22nd birthday is in 2 days, which means that once this baby is born, I'll have 2 babies under the age of 2 while I'm still 22. How cool is that? I am so thrilled about this baby, and can't wait to embark on this adventure again. You all are welcome to come along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment