Monday, May 6, 2013

Glamour Girl

I have told Evie countless times not to play with my makeup. She's always liked having "lip cream" to keep her lips from getting dry or inflamed, and she's already stained a couple outfits by using my expensive lip gloss when she knows she's not supposed to. But apparently, that hasn't stopped her from watching me when I apply my makeup. This afternoon, it got too quiet. When I turned around to find Evie, I found her with my purse on her lap, unzipped, and my makeup scattered around her. Then I took a closer look at her, and this is what I saw:
At first I thought it was just the lip gloss, and then I realized that she'd put on mascara too. I had very mixed feelings. One part of me was angry that she'd ignored the rules and played with my lip gloss again, but the larger part of me was trying hard not to laugh out loud.

I am a little concerned, though. After all, I wear makeup. Not a lot, and not even every day, but I do usually have on mascara and lip gloss if I'm leaving the house. Evie watches me closely and asks me what I'm doing, and I don't know what to say to her. She looks up to me and wants to be just like Mommy, so I don't want to say "I'm putting on makeup to make myself pretty" because I don't want her to think that she needs to wear makeup to be pretty too. She's a beautiful little girl exactly the way she is, and I want her to know that. So what do I say to her? How do I teach her the true definition of beauty without feeling like a hypocrite because I'm still insecure enough to need my makeup to feel beautiful? How do I answer her questions honestly, but without potentially prematurely planting self-image issues into her innocent psyche?

No comments:

Post a Comment