Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baby Tragedy

We found out some really sad news at church yesterday: a couple in our ward lost their little boy on Friday. Every time I think about it, I start crying. In fact, I'm crying as I type this post. When we moved into our apartment, this couple was the first one we met. We chatted for a while and found out that we had quite a bit in common. They got married very close to when we did, and their first baby was due only a couple of weeks before ours is. In fact, the last time I saw them was on the 13th. The bishop had just asked again when we were due, and then walked to her and asked her how much longer she had. She laughed and said she had a week more, and was looking forward to being done. Then last week, we got to church a little bit late and had apparently missed an announcement because everyone mentioned praying for their family, but we didn't know why. I told Todd when we got home that I hoped their baby hadn't been stillborn because that would be just heartbreaking. Yesterday, we found out that their little boy had been born the week before with a very serious genetic disease and had finally returned to God's presence Friday morning. I started crying because, even though we aren't super close, I still feel like these people are our friends and their tragedy hurts me. Besides, now that I'm a mother myself, I can't stand the thought of having my precious little one taken away from me after excitedly anticipating her arrival for the past nine months. That thought absolutely breaks my heart.

When the bishop mentioned their baby's death, I shook my belly to get Evie to kick, just so I could feel her move. I woke her up, so she wasn't super responsive, but she did kick a little to make her mommy feel better. But I also felt a little guilty about that relief and about having my healthy little girl when another mother had just lost her little boy. If the situation was reversed, I would have a hard time looking at other people's babies without crying. I do know that this mother will get to have her little boy again, but I also know that this time will be hard for her and her husband. I want to help this couple, but I know that everything that everyone says just makes the pain that much worse. So I don't know what to say or what to do. Maybe all I can do is pray for them and be that much more careful to never take my own sweet baby for granted. She is already such a blessing in my life and I am so glad that she is healthy and safe. I pray that she stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment