Wednesday, February 15, 2012

First Valentine

First of all, I just want to say "Happy Valentine's Day!" to all 3 of my loyal readers; I love you all!
A couple of days before Valentine's Day, Todd and I discussed whether or not to make it a family holiday or one just for Mommy and Daddy. We decided that it was a holiday just for us, which means we'll give presents to each other, but not to the kids. I've had Todd's present ready for over a week now, except for one little piece, which I ended up getting on Monday after work. He's very hard to shop for for Valentine's Day because flowers give him the "willies" and he's not much of a sweet-tooth, so I can't do candy and roses for him. I had no idea what he was planning for me, but I figured that chocolate and flowers probably weren't it, so I joked that if he didn't want to get me flowers, he could get me jewelry. For over two weeks, every time I asked him what he wanted to do for dinner, he didn't have any ideas, but he finally told me on Monday that he thought we should go to Red Robin. Red Robin is kind of special for us because that's where we ate the night he asked me to be his girlfriend and the night he asked me to marry him. It's not the super-fancy restaurant that other people might prefer for an important night like that, but it serves good food, and it holds special memories for us, especially the mozzarella sticks.
Yesterday, I got all dolled up before work, and put the finishing touches on Todd's present: I wanted to give him the perfect date night, so I lined a basket with one of my negligees (a pretty black one with pink and white hearts all over it) and placed in the K-Y Date Night box I'd purchased from Wal-Mart and a handmade Valentine. I surrounded the box with two packets of hot cocoa, two packets of popcorn, and an entire bag of Dove's white/milk swirled chocolates. Then I hid the whole thing in the closet where Todd wouldn't find it before I got home. When I got home, he'd put something special for me on our bed:
Isn't that sweet? The man probably doesn't have any red ink left in his printer, but I was very touched. I gave him his present (which I didn't get a picture of) and he loved it! Then we went to dinner. Evie had a blast! She flirted with our waiter, chewed on her giraffe, and enjoyed reading and ripping up the rewards brochure. 
It is a tradition for Todd to ask me something when the mozzarella sticks arrive, so this time he asked if I was ready for the rest of my present: a necklace/earrings set of sterling silver with simulated emeralds. They're gorgeous! I immediately swapped out my jewelry, and forgot to get a picture--sorry! I asked him what the significance of May was (emerald is May's birthstone) besides his birthday, and he said there wasn't one; he just liked the color and thought it would look pretty on me. He's such a sweetheart!
I think we all had a good night. Todd and I got to show our love for each other, and Evie had a good time going on a date night with Mommy and Daddy. She's such a little flirt (which she gets from me) and a little sweetie (which she gets from him). I hope she enjoyed her first Valentine's Day, and that she'll someday find her own eternal sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment