Monday, August 13, 2012

Rock-a-Bye

I have a new rocking chair! Well, it's new to me anyway. I've wanted a glider ever since I was pregnant with Evie, so Todd was saving up to get me one for our anniversary/Christmas/my birthday. The ones that we sell where I work are between $250 and $400, so he was planning on spending about $300-$350 on one, and almost had all the money he needed for it. Then yesterday, on our way to church, we passed an estate sale. Todd pointed out that they had a rocker. Unfortunately, he was giving a talk in sacrament meeting and couldn't be late for church, so we couldn't stop and take a look at the glider. I told him that maybe it would still be there after church, but he said he doubted it. Well, on our way home, I kept my eyes peeled, and it was still there! So we stopped and tried it out. It was comfortable and glided smoothly, with none of the squeaks and hiccups that my friends' chairs and some of the ones that we sell do! Then the miracle happened. The man selling the furniture came over and told us that he would give us the entire set--glider and ottoman--for $35! That's right: thirty-five dollars! He was sad to have to sell it, but they were moving to New York, and simply didn't have the room for it. Todd and I conferred for all of one minute, and then he went to the bank to pull out some cash while I stayed behind to guard my precious find. Todd called Margot to see if she would lend us the use of her van so we could get it home, and voila! I am the proud owner of a wonderful, comfortable glider that only cost me 1/10th the price of a store-bought one! Now I can rock my sweet babies to sleep or read stories to them in MY CHAIR!
(P.S. Evie has been playing with the ottoman almost nonstop since then. She thinks it's great fun to rock it back and forth, over and over, and try to climb on!)

No comments:

Post a Comment