Monday, October 1, 2012

Recovery

Oh, I'm feeling so much better! Except for a couple of minor hiccups, my surgery went very well.  Despite being offered painkillers several times during my hospital stay, I didn't need them. However, about an hour before my surgery was scheduled, I started getting a migraine, so I asked for some Dilaudid. After about 30 seconds, the world had tilted about 20 degrees to my right, and I kept losing my train of thought. Finally I laughed, and said that I felt like the sultan on Aladdin:
When I was wheeled in to the operating room, I remember saying hello to everyone in the room, and thanking them for being there, and then my memory goes black. The next thing I remember is my doctor leaning over me, telling me that my surgery was a success, and asking how I felt. I told him I was itchy and then I passed out again for what felt to me an hour, but what was probably only 15 seconds. I remember being surprised that he was still there, but he asked if I wanted any Benadryl to help with the itchiness. I said that I didn't want to run up any more of a bill than I already had and passed out again. After probably 3 more mini-naps, I ended up getting the Benadryl, and they finally wheeled me to my recovery room where Todd and Elizabeth were waiting. By this point, my incisions still didn't hurt, but my right shoulder did from where they had pumped me full of air. I was starving, but by the time the food came, I just couldn't eat, so the lady very kindly packed up my food so I could take it home. On the ride to my sister-in-law's to pick up Evie, I fell asleep countless times, making the trip feel like hours. But my incisions were starting to get sore, so when we finally made it home, Todd had to help me climb into bed.
The next day, we were invited to a dinner party, and despite being sore, I was excited to go. Everyone was surprised when we showed up the day after my surgery, but I had a great time. I was thrilled to be able to eat whatever struck my fancy without fear of a debilitating attack! And now, I'm feeling even better. Hooray for no gallbladder, hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment