Wednesday, July 31, 2013

New Job Opportunity

I am thrilled to announce that the time has come for me to resign from Babies "R" Us! Today, I finally submitted my two weeks' notice, and I can already feel weight lifting off of my shoulders. For several months, I could see that I would eventually leave, and now I've just given into the inevitable. Once I had Elizabeth, and my maternity leave was over, I went back to work but only very part-time. I only worked about 8 hours or so a week and stayed at home with my girlies for the rest of the time. Often, on the internet, I see arguments between working moms and stay-at-home moms, and I'm tired of it. I can understand both sides of the story, and the guilt that each path brings, as well as the joy. Those 8 hours stretched on for an eternity, during which I felt overcome with guilt for imposing on family members to watch my girls, and leaving my girls to be cared for by someone else. Then, when I was home, I felt guilty for only working for those 8 hours, because I felt like I wasn't contributing my all to help support our family in a financially significant way. No matter what, I had the worst of both worlds, shouldering both burdens of guilt. Then, just a month or so ago, I received an offer from a lady in my ward. Her daughter had started a new job, and needed someone to watch her two little kids on days that she worked. This lady thought that I might be interested in the position, so I called up her daughter and asked about the details of the job. It turns out that her two kids were very close in age to mine, and she was willing to work around my BRU job. After a few weeks, Todd and I were noticing that I was making more from this babysitting job than I was from BRU, and the lady was saying that she could use me even more, if I was able/willing to open my hours. I finally talked Todd into letting me quit Babies so I could work more hours, for more money, than I was currently available for. And the best part? I can take my kids to work with me! Her little boy is only 3 months older than Evie, so they play together all the time, and her little girl is about 6 months younger than Elizabeth. The two babies mostly play independently, but they'll probably grow to like each other. Now, instead of having the worst of both worlds, I have the best! I'm helping to bring in some money (and more than I would have been able to working retail!), and I still get to be the one raising and teaching my kiddos. Plus, I go to the lady's house to watch her kids, so I have a few days a week that I get to escape the dungeon...excuse me, the basement where we live. And that weight on my shoulders is gone! Or, at least it will be once my two weeks are up! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment