Saturday, July 6, 2013

Happy Birthday, Ella!

My little one turned one year old on Tuesday, July 2nd! We wanted all of our extended family to be able to attend, though, so we held her party on the Saturday, which was the 30th of June. As you may remember from Evie's jungle-themed party, I tend to go all-out when my babies turn one! Instead of a jungle theme this time, though, I decided on a garden theme. Elizabeth is my little "cutie-bug" and since her birthday is in July, I thought it would be a really fun to have a rainbow of bright happy colors at her party. I think we succeeded!
For decoration, I bought some really fun pinwheels at Hobby Lobby and used balloons to make shapes like a flower, a butterfly, and a caterpillar on the walls.
On the wall behind the table, I hung the banner I made:
In case you can't make it out, it says Our lil Ladybut is Turning 1!
Just like last year, I really put my whole self into this party, but because of last year, I sort of knew what I was doing and was able to be a lot more efficient and creative. Most of the food ideas were mine, and I just bought and made a few decorations at a time so I wouldn't get burned out like last time. The first thing I did when I woke up Saturday morning, was make Ella's personal 6" cake, which I made out of chocolate cake mix. When it was cool, I colored it purple and decorated it like a caterpillar head.
The cupcakes for the guests were made with chocolate or yellow cake mix and decorated in one of four colors that made up the caterpillar's body. I bought a package of cupcake papers that had four colors in it, all with cute white polka dots. Each cupcake had matching paper and frosting. I called them "Caterpillar Cupcakes" and arranged them all on the table.
Next was my "Veggie Patch." I was especially proud of this idea. I wanted to have a variety of foods to choose from, including a healthy option. So I bought some cheap green broadcloth and stuffed it with plastic bags to make rows, and then put the veggies in between the mounds to get the effect of a veggie garden.
Each row had its own sign, just like a real garden. I got the veggies as little as I could so they would make easier finger-foods: sugar-snap peas, cherry tomatoes, baby corn (from the can), baby carrots, and slices cucumbers (it occurred to me later that I could have gotten some little whole pickles instead, but these worked anyway!).
 My next endeavor was my own home-made Edible Arrangement. I found a tutorial online and made some tweaks. I used pineapple, watermelon, grapes, and strawberries and arranged them all into a flower pot filled with foam. This took a lot more time than I expected, but it actually looked amazing when I was done, and it was a huge hit! I called my bouquet "Floral Fruits" and moved on to the next item on my list.
Next, I went for something easy. I poured our "Bee Hives" (Honeycomb cereal) and "Sun Chips" (...Sun Chips) into their respective flower pots and put them on the table as well.
Then Todd helped me make our "Cups of Dirt," which consisted of layering chocolate pudding, Cool Whip, and crushed Oreo cookies into 9 oz cups before garnishing each one with a gummy worm. I got some cute little wooden "shovel" spoons online to complete the cups.
Once again, these were the treats that Todd and I liked the best: they were delicious!
Our last menu item was "Lemonade." It was a recipe I found online that was lemonade, pineapple juice, and Sprite. It actually needed more Sprite than I'd bought, so it was very tart, but it was still pretty good. I thought it would be a really fun idea to serve the lemonade out of a new watering can. I couldn't get the really cute metal yellow one I found online in time, so we ended up just getting a huge plastic yellow one from Wal-Mart for $3. It still looked pretty cute with the rest of the decor though!
By this time, our guests were starting to arrive, so I took a few final pictures and got Elizabeth ready for her presents!
I didn't want to exert extra effort by making Ella's party hat. Instead, I found, at the Dollar Tree, cute butterfly wings and cute butterfly antennae for her to wear.
Elizabeth's first present was from her Uncle John/Aunt Margot and their family; they gave her a cute set of pajamas.
The next gift bag was from Tia and Uncle. Julia, Ella's cousin, wrote her a cute handmade card. Then Ella pulled out her actual presents: a pair of Weebles, a Disney book, a Sesame Street book, and a cute little jungle book.
Finally, it was time to open the presents from Mommy and Daddy. She opened a cute little butterfly box that held her little porcelain 1-year-old Growing-up Girl figurine. Evie's are brunette, so I bought the blonde one for Elizabeth.
Next was a long line of the Little People Disney Princesses, concluded by the palace.
After all of the presents were opened, I lit the candle on her cake and we all sang "Happy Birthday" to her.
Then we stripped her down to her diaper so she could dig into her cake. Where her sister ate her cake very fastidiously, Elizabeth needed only a little prompting before diving right in! By the time she was done, she had frosting all over her face and hands, and even some in her ear!
Jenette mentioned that Ella's eyes looked super blue while she was eating her cake, and it's because the purple frosting really accents that bright blue.
After everyone else left, it was time for Elizabeth to wash off all of the cake crumbs and frosting. We put her in the tub and let her splash around. Even in the tub, she was still "tasting" herself! Then, when she was finally all clean, we got her out and let her play with her new toys.  
I think she really enjoyed her special day, and I'm glad that her party went almost perfectly! 


Just like last time, I'm putting together a list of where I bought everything for any crafty people who might care.

Hobby Lobby:
Colored pinwheels
Orange tablecloth
Colored cupcake papers
Flowered paper for place-cards*
Red/black cardstock for ladybug banner*
Green broadcloth

Wal-Mart:
Balloons
Watering can
Flower pots
Cake/frosting
Green gardening styrofoam
Oreos
Pudding
Gummy worms
Belle/Prince Adam set
Ariel/Prince Eric set
Cinderella/Prince Charming set
Palace/Dwarves bundle set

Babies "R" Us: 
Ariel/Aurora set
Rapunzel/Tiana set
Jasmine/Aladdin set
Belle/Beast set

King Soopers (local grocery store): 
Fruit/veggies
Honeycomb cereal
Sun Chips
Cool Whip
Drink (pineapple juice, Sprite, lemonade mix)
9 oz cups

Dollar Tree:
Wrapping paper for Ella's presents
Butterfly wings
Butterfly headband
Butterfly box
Blue plates

Party City:
Napkins
Yellow tissue sunshine (not pictured, for some reason)

Online:
Wooden shovel spoons--this website
Purple paper flowers on Ella's cake--this website
Age 1 Growing Up Girl--this website

*The font I used on the banner and place-cards is called "Bumble Bee BV."

No comments:

Post a Comment