Thursday, July 21, 2011

Today...

Today is kind of a big deal in our family. My dad turns 47 today--happy birthday, Daddy! Last year for his birthday, we announced that he was going to be a grandfather. That's right; one year ago today, Todd and I found out we were going to have a baby! Now, on the anniversary of that event, Evie is here: healthy, beautiful, and absolutely worth the wait. We don't have another big announcement this year, but we do have a smaller one worthy of celebration; Evie is four months old today!!

She's definitely growing up! She learns new things all the time and gets just bigger and bigger. And one thing Evie's learning is how to be a little flirt: everywhere we go, she smiles at the people around her and chats with them, trying to make friends with them. Everyone comments on how cute she is, which just makes her smile bigger. And that smile is contagious; anyone who sees it can't help but automatically smile back. We went to the DMV today to get a Colorado driver's license for me, and the ladies sitting next to us thought Evie was adorable when she tried to make friends with them. And the lady who put my information together commented on her bright eyes and said she was a cutie-patootie. :D

Evie is also teaching us along the way. I'm finally learning the difference between her hungry cry and her tired cry. And when she's cranky from being tired, I try to comfort her and let her know that it's okay to take naps and get sleep. I know that she's desperately afraid of missing anything interesting, but I keep holding her and telling her that sleep will help her brain and body get even stronger and healthier. We have that little pep talk almost every time I try putting her down for a nap, but it seems to calm her down to have me talking to her, so I don't mind. I think she's starting to understand that naps make her happier when she wakes up, and that it's okay to sleep sometimes during the day.

She is so cute when she wakes up from sleeping; she's always so cheerful and silly. The littlest things light up her world, and she stays perky for well over a half hour. Todd usually gets up at 6:30 am to feed Evie and then she dozes for a little while. At about 8, Todd brings her in to me while I'm still in bed, and we have our silly Mommy/Baby time. I tickle her, and hold her up in the air above my head. I walk her up and down my belly and onto my face. I make funny faces to make her smile. The entire time, I talk to her about how beautiful she is, and how happy I am to be her Mommy. She grins hugely and talks back to me in her sweet, high little voice about whatever makes her happy. This lasts anywhere from a half-hour to an entire hour, but at about 9, Evie gets hungry again, so I nurse her, and then hand her to Todd so he can feed her a bottle while I get in the shower. She's happy when she wakes up from naps too, but not for as long as in the morning. I have to say, I look forward to that special time I get to spend with my little girl every day. I had that today, and I'm excited to have it again tomorrow. And every day for the next four months! Happy Four-Monthiversary, Sweetie-Evie!

No comments:

Post a Comment