Saturday, August 13, 2011

Plosives and Giggles

Thursday was my mom's birthday, so I called her while we were out and about running errands. When we got home, Todd and John worked on replacing our DVR hard drive in the living room while I changed Evie's diaper in our bedroom. She's been learning to babble at us and to herself, so we're focusing on new sounds all the time. While I changed her booty, I chattered to her as usual and started making a popping noise with my lips. Evie smiled at that, but when I moved from the "pah-pah" sound to the "bah-bah" sound, she collapsed into giggles. REAL giggles! Something about bilabial plosives just tickles her funny bone. I spent between 5 and 10 minutes making "bah-bah" noises and hearing her laugh and laugh while her little tummy bounced. Todd could hear her through the door, and he said it sounded adorable and made him smile. Yesterday, before we went to our ward camp-out (Evie's first camping trip!), Todd was watching the Republican debates and playing with Evie. She was having so much fun playing with her Daddy, and I was able to catch a couple of videos of it. I tried my plosives again, and sure enough, they still work!


We have no idea why Evie loves these noises so much. I can only guess that maybe it is because so many words I use around her begin with b's: baby, bottle, booty, belly, blech, big, bath, blow, bubbles, boogie, bounce (bouncer, bouncing), boing, etc. We're so excited that Evie is learning to really laugh and giggle; she's such a happy little girl and watching her makes us happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment