Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lonely Mommy

The loneliness that I've been feeling for months is hitting me hard today. I'm 22 years old, I'm married to the love of my life, I have a beautiful 10-month-old daughter, and I'm pregnant with my second child. Even in Utah, where it is common to start a family at a younger age than most other places, I didn't know very many people my age who were in my same situation in life. Here in Colorado, they're practically nonexistent.
I got married when I was 19, and most of the other newlywed brides I knew were at least a couple of years older than I was. Then I got pregnant with Evie, and the age gap between me and other new mommies widened that much more. Now, I'm expecting another precious addition to our family, and I only have two friends close to my age who are going through similar situations, and they both live out of state. One of my best friends from high school, Becca, lives in Idaho and has two adorable little girls that are about as far apart in age as my babies will be, but I haven't seen her since my wedding and I've never met her daughters. One of my college roommates, Lindsay, is expecting her second little girl in just a few more months, and she's the one friend I miss the most. We haven't seen each other since Todd and I moved from Utah to Colorado in July. We still chat online and on the phone, but it just isn't the same. Sometimes, I just need some girl time with someone who understands exactly what I'm going through, and I don't have that opportunity here, even at church. Everyone my age is either still single, or is a newlywed. Everyone who has two or more babies is close to 10 years older than I am.
Overall, my life is very happy, and I'm so blessed to be Mommy to my two little ones! I just get lonely sometimes, and wish I had a girl friend close by that I could just spend some time with. Someone with whom I could grab some ice cream and gossip about our babies/church/work/whatever else comes to mind. Someone to give me a hug and some understanding when I need it. Right now, I feel like Mr. Rogers, pleading, "Will YOU be my neighbor?"

No comments:

Post a Comment