Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Daddy's Birthday

Todd's 30th birthday was May 14th, the day after Mother's Day. Unfortunately, I had to work Monday night, so we decided to have his "party" on Tuesday night instead. I asked him what he wanted to eat, and then spent all day making his favorite meal for dinner and his birthday cake. He wanted lemon cake with orange/cream cheese frosting. I made the cake from a mix, but I made his frosting FROM SCRATCH!! Then, using thirty candles, I made a big "30" on the top. The finished product looked pretty good, if I do say so myself:
Todd's loves my homemade chicken enchiladas; they're his very favorite meal! So I made sure that they were in the oven cooking when he walked in the door from work so that he could smell them baking. While we waited for them to finish, Todd opened his presents.
The gift bag was from Evie, and the wrapped box was from me; we both signed the card that I'd made. Todd seemed to really enjoy it, and Evie liked helping her Daddy open his presents.
In case it's hard to tell, I gave Todd the last two books in his favorite series: Xenocide and Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card. Evie gave Todd the video of last year's Christmas concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir/Orchestra on Temple Square. The one that featured David Archuleta and that I mentioned in this post. You can see part of Todd's head on the front cover of the DVD, and he's shown prominently several times during the second song. Since she seemed to really enjoy the concert both the first time around and when we watched the DVR recording this past Christmas, I thought it would be appropriate for her to be the one to give it to him.
By the time he was done with his presents, the enchiladas were done as well. I meant to get a picture of them, but we started eating them pretty much immediately. Oops. After dinner, we had cake and ice cream. Todd really liked the orange frosting I'd made. The ice cream he'd picked out was Reese's flavored. It was really good, but was kind of interesting with the citrus flavor of the cake and frosting. Evie didn't care if they mixed, though; her plate was the cleanest I've ever seen it! She was a little sticky, though. Happy Birthday, Todd! Evie and I both love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment