Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Letter to Evie

Dear Evie-girl,

You are my sunshine! When I first chose that song for you, I didn't realize just how appropriate it was, but you are definitely a sun-baby. I finally realized just how much of your life is influenced by the sun. For example, your favorite colors are yellow and orange: very bright, sunny colors. Your favorite flowers are dandelions, which look like mini sunshines, and you love to pick them and put them behind your ears. Your favorite  animals are lions, particularly daddy lions, and with their tawny coloring and big manes, they can also be considered very sunny animals. And you fit right in with them, too. You look like a cute little baby lion with your big beautiful brown eyes and your tawny blonde hair that tends to fly all over the place. The way you chew on your favorite stuffed giraffe would make any lion proud! Also like your "kindred" lions, you would love nothing better than to play and lie out in the sun all day, soaking up its warmth and light. Fortunately, you've inherited your daddy's slightly darker complexion, so you never burn. And when you come back in, that light just radiates off of you in waves of joy and love. You make every day brighter, just by being in it!

Like the sun, the arts have always played a major role in who you are. Even when you were brand-new, you loved it when I would sing to you. Your favorite song was "I've Been Working on the Railroad," and it never failed to calm you down when you were upset. As you've grown, so has your love for music. You love humming along into a mouthpiece when Daddy plays his trombone. You love dancing whenever you hear a song on the radio. You love banging on the piano keys and singing along to your own special songs. I love singing songs to you and with you! Your new passion is art. You're a big fan of stickers, and you have such pride in your drawings, whether they be with pencil, crayon or marker. In fact, a couple of months ago, you defaced our couch with red Sharpie! You were so pleased to show me your artwork until you got into big trouble. Your daddy and I have very high hopes for your future, and we're excited to see how your love for music and/or art will play a part in it.

Because of the way that singing would calm you when nothing else would, I've often wondered if your primary love language is Words of Affirmation. You certainly picked up on language very quickly. You started babbling at a very young age, and once you started talking, you almost immediately transitioned into full sentences. Your vocabulary is actually many times larger than that of the average toddler your age, and your doctor has been impressed with how advanced your verbal skills are. I am so proud of you, and I try very hard to always be positive when I speak to you because I know how much words can either soothe or hurt you.

In addition to being very good at receiving love though words, you are also very good at demonstrating it in many ways. You are my little sweetheart, and I love how affectionate you are. In fact, you're one of my best friends; I love the time we spend talking, giggling, snuggling, and tickling. You are quite proficient in giving hugs and kisses, you are an expert at snuggling and tickle-fights, and when you say "I love you, Mommy," my heart just melts. Your smile lifts my spirits, and your giggle makes them soar. Evie-girl, you are so beautiful and perfect exactly as you are. I love you so much, in a way that you won't be able to understand until you have a baby of your very own someday. I am thankful for the blessing you are in my life. I'm thankful that I get to be your Mommy. I'm thankful for all of these little tiny things, along with so many more, that make up YOU. Thank you for being my firstborn baby, for making me a mother for the very first time. You've changed me so completely; you are an angel sent from heaven, and I love you so very much. Happy Thanksgiving, Evie-girl!

Love you forever,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment