Thursday, February 3, 2011

Forever Families

This past weekend, Todd and I had the fantastic opportunity of driving down to Manti, Utah to witness the temple sealing of our close friends, the Hopes. We left home Saturday morning, hoping to get down there in time to do a session ourselves beforehand. We missed the session time by 15 minutes, but at least we actually made it in plenty of time for the sealing itself, unlike when we tried to go through with Linds for her first time! I was determined that the devil was not going to have a hand in making me miss this special occasion for my dear friends.

Because we were there a couple of hours early, Todd and I just waited in the temple for the sealing to begin. We got to look up at the famous spiral staircase, which was incredible! We were also surprised when the temple worker came and took Todd away for a minute. I found out later that Matt and Linds had requested that Todd act as the second witness, along with her dad, of their sealing. Todd felt deeply honored that he got to sign their certificate and be such an important part of their special day.

When they led everyone into the sealing room, Matt and Linds were already sitting there, all in white. I got to sit next to Todd at the head of the room, so I was able to see both of their faces when they knelt across the altar from each other. They both looked so happy, but also so peaceful. Linds especially looked calm and serene. I, on the other hand, burst into tears. It was so different from my own sealing to Todd, in which I remember seeing tears of love in Todd's eyes, and feeling my own face spread in such a huge smile that tears had no room to squeeze out. At the same time, it was so similar to our sealing because the feelings of peace and belonging and eternal joy enveloped me at both sealings. It just felt right being there watching two of my best friends covenant to be married for time and all eternity. Then the temple worker brought in their baby daughter Lily, also dressed all in white, and I think we all lost our composure. She was so beautiful and precious and perfect, smiling around the room at everyone there. When Matt, Linds, and Lily were sealed together as a forever family, there was such a feeling of heaven in the room! They were able to stand together as a family in front of the double mirrors and see themselves reflected into eternity. It was such a beautiful picture of joy that I turned to Todd and sobbed into his chest that I wanted our baby to be here so I could hold her and see my own little piece of heaven. (I'm blaming all of the weeping on the pregnancy hormones!) The next morning, Todd had to be in Salt Lake City for the broadcast, but I was able to be there to see little Lily be blessed by her daddy.

This experience was so special to me, and I feel so honored that I was invited to witness this sacred event. I know that it really means a lot to both Matt and Linds that they were finally able to be sealed after almost two years of waiting. I can already see a brighter light around them, and noticed while I was staying with them that they are more in harmony now than they used to be. It makes me so grateful that Todd and I were able to be sealed in the Lord's temple, and that our little Evie will be born in the covenant. I am so grateful that the Lord blesses us with temples, in which we can be sealed as eternal families, and I know that He loves us. I think this experience has reinforced to me that I get to be with my husband and children forever, and it causes me to love him (them) just a little bit more.

2 comments:

  1. My grandpa works in the Manti temple on Saturdays! I wonder if you saw him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say I doubt it because I only remembered seeing the sealer, whose last name was Slack. But then it occured to me that we saw a couple of brother workers who first scanned our recommends. It didn't occur to me to check their names, but maybe your grandpa was one of them! That would be really cool. Also, Matt's mom works at the temple too, so I wonder if your grandpa knows his mom. That would also be really cool!!

    ReplyDelete