Monday, April 9, 2012

Evie's Second Easter

On a lighter note, I would like to post a few pictures from our Easter evening. A year ago, when Evie was just a couple of weeks old, we celebrated her first Easter. We were invited up to Salt Lake City to enjoy dinner with Todd's aunt and uncle. And to show off our new baby, of course! She wore a very frilly blue dress, and was not in the best of moods that night.
Yesterday morning, we went to our old ward for sacrament meeting because John and Margot were both in the choir, so we went to support them and keep an eye on their kids. After sacrament meeting, we left because we had so much else to do that day. Evie wore a pretty pink dress, but was not in a good mood because she was tired and ready for her nap.
Wow! What a difference one year makes, right? Once these pictures had been snapped, we changed Evie into more comfy clothes and let her take a nap while we folded laundry and unpacked some more (we're still not completely unpacked and it's driving us crazy!). When Evie woke up, we went to Wal-Mart to get some desperately needed groceries. Apparently, by early afternoon, the holiday is over, because they were taking down all of the Easter stuff so they could put up the Mother's Day stuff. We scored a package of 42 pastel eggs for just under 2 bucks! For the same price, we could have gotten 12 iridescent eggs or 12 swirled eggs, so we felt that we chose wisely. On our journey through Wal-Mart, Todd picked up a package of bunny Peeps for me (I'm the only one in my family who loves Peeps. Especially when they're stale!), but I couldn't find any Cadbury mini-eggs (another Easter addiction of mine). Grrr. Fortunately, our local grocery store, King Soopers, saved the day, and even offered a coupon for them! While at the grocery store, Todd got me a little pot of pansies and a ceramic pot. We also discovered why our little girl was being such a grouch all day: she's teething again! She's got her molars poking through on her lower right side! Anyway, we came home and started dinner: homemade burgers, fries, and shakes while the Munchkin took her second nap. Then we started in on the Easter festivities.
When I was growing up, we got new dresses every Easter, we decorated eggs, and we got a new stuffed bunny in our basket every year. Evie's Easter was a lot less work and money. Todd and I simply poured little goldfish crackers (actually, the cheaper "Whales" version), banana puffs, and strawberry-apple puffs into 12 of the new eggs and "hid" them around the living room and dining room for Evie to find when she woke up. Our hiding spots were fairly easy because, heck, Evie's only a year old and it was her first Easter egg hunt. I got several videos of the hunt itself, but I'm only posting two because these were the cutest.
Evie did eventually find all 12 eggs, and then we put the basket down in front of her so she could shake them to her heart's content. She would occasionally come over to me and ask me to open one for her so she could eat the goodies inside, then she would sit and munch on her treats until the egg was empty and she wanted another one opened. Meanwhile, I didn't want to wait for my Peeps to get stale, so I ate them all in one sitting. Not a wise choice, but hey! I'm pregnant. Wisdom sometimes has nothing to do with my food choices!
I think that, even though Easter was a lot less traditional than I'd originally hoped, Evie had fun finding her eggs. Next year, I hope to be able to teach her a little about the real Easter holiday and why it is so important, but I think that this year still counts as a success. Happy Easter, my sweet baby! And Happy Easter to all of you out there as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment