Saturday, April 21, 2012

Little Bookworm

Evie is a very verbal little person. She babbles all the time, and I've actually gotten several comments from doctors and other moms about how advanced her verbal skills are. All I can do is smile and agree, but I'm not surprised; she's my daughter after all, and I like to talk. I like to read, too, and I'm very happy to announce that it seems Evie has inherited that love. There was never any real doubt in my mind that she would love books, especially given who her Mommy and Daddy are, but it's still nice to have proof. That little girl loves stories. She has a bookshelf in her room where all of her books and some of her toys are kept, and she loves that thing. When it gets really quiet and I start thinking that she's getting into something she shouldn't, I often find her sitting on the floor in front of her bookshelf, reading a story to herself. I love it! And she has started bringing me specific stories to read to her. She'll come up to me, book in hand, and want to sit up on my lap. While I'm reading the story, she likes to turn the pages for me, and after I'm done, she takes the book from me and reads the story to me. Each page always goes something like this, "BA-ba-BA-ba-ba," and it tickles me that she's learning to imitate the cadence of sounds, even if she doesn't use the actual words quite yet. Part of her nighttime routine, once she's in her jams, is to pick out a book for Daddy to read to her. When they're done with their story, he hands Evie to me and I sing a song or two and then put her into her bed. While she still often protests the idea of being in bed instead of playing, she's usually much calmer if she's had her bedtime story. Then, if we're quiet, we can hear her telling herself and her stuffed animals her own little girl stories. Her little babbles have real inflections and emphases, and you can almost see the stories she's weaving. I don't know if her advanced verbal skills led to her love of books, or if her love of books is contributing to her verbal skills. Probably both. But I'm so proud of my smart little bookworm, and I'm thrilled that I get to be her Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment