Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"Bobby's" Buddy

I don't know if it's because she somehow senses that one-on-one time with Mommy is soon to be limited or not, but Evie seems more interested in spending time with me lately. She has one of my old drivers licenses with a hole punched in it that she carries around, and for about a week, every time anyone asked her who it was a picture of, she would say "Bobby!" We thought it was funny and a little weird that she couldn't use her "mmm" sound to say "Mommy," especially when she could say "Ma-ma!" As soon as we changed the ending "-ma" to a "-mee," though, her "mmm's" suddenly changed to "bbb's," and I would become "Bobby."
On Saturday, the 16th of this month, we had a family get-together, and we were showing how Evie was calling me Bobby. Randomly, I tried one more time to get her to say "Mommy"...and she did it! I tried it again, and she did it again! I am now officially "Mommy" and I love it! My baby knows who I am, and now she carries around my picture chanting my name over and over again. Sometimes I hear her babbling to her toys in the next room and then I'll suddenly hear her say "Mommy!" as clear as day; then she comes trotting in to show me something or just to give me a kiss. When she's sad about going to bed, I'll sometimes hear a heartbroken "Mom-meee!" drifting from her room. This weekend, when I was sick with the stomach flu and lived in bed all day, she was mostly in the care of her Daddy. She was pretty content hanging out with him, but she would periodically say "Mommy!", and then come into my room to check on me. She would come up to my side of the bed and ask to be allowed up next to me on the bed. She would give me sweet little kisses and say my name. Then she would pull my shirt up so she could see my belly and say hi to the "Baby!" She would quietly hang out with me until she got bored and needed to go play with Todd some more.
Evie has never been much of a snuggler, but lately, she seems to enjoy hugs and snuggles a lot more. In fact, she'll even ask for them by climbing onto my lap and putting her arms around my neck. Sometimes these hugs are accompanied by kisses, and sometimes not, but they're always special. She follows me everywhere I go, even if it's just into the next room so I can put something away. I especially love it when I'm in the living room on my computer or something, and she comes in holding a book, a toy, or her fuzzy blanket. She comes up to me and tries to climb up next to me on the couch, just to be with me. She's very good at sharing her toys with me, and often hands them to me one at a time. She likes sitting on my lap, wrapped in her fuzzy blanky, while I read or sing to her. Then she likes to either take the book and read to me, or start singing along in her little girl voice. All of our time together is very special to me, especially lately because I know that it won't be too much longer before I'll have to split my attention between two little girls. I think that Evie's starting to sense something to that effect, and she's taking as much advantage of our special time as she can. I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment